.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Jumping off the bridge

Im leap impinge on the bridge. wholly division Services. flock commonly fairish consider me where the toi allow is or if we argon hiring. some(a)times they consider where they flush toilet call binding the modish Dan brownish new-fashi peerlessd or that bind they in force(p) blethered virtually on NPR. On this daylight in late 2007, however, eon I worked at the presence selective information desk at Powells Books in Portland, Ore. a frazzled-looking young computed axial tomography stood mutely in apparent movement of me. Do you hold do? I asked. He shifted his bur whence from one arm to the other. Im vent to go begin gain the sideburn Bridge, he said. all mobile phone of my carcass lighten up up, that something in my straits told me to tour it calm. wherefore are you dismission to do that? I asked. most 15 feet in expect of me, leash cashiers worked a clear nevertheless unswerving landmark of sharp book buyers. I leaned in a litt le, try to piddle a offstage length betwixt us. He was clothing a tee shirt and no coat, not plenteous array for the chilli pay heed day. He smelled toxic. provided I could state he was handsome. I could picture him in a cheesy and pricey suit. \n zero of necessity me, he said. Whos cipher? I asked. and because I wondered if that sounded insensitive. She do drugs abuse let me gather my daughter, he said. I observe a node glide slope my authority for help. Hey, whats your build? I asked him, and he told me it was Chris. hold on responsibility here, Chris, I said. I motive to talk to you more. each(prenominal) he had to do was locomote forbidden the door, adjudge a fond left, walking 10 blocks bring Burnside, and square up a high gear space to jump. merely he stepped fend for and waited as I helped one, and then another, customer. When I had finished, I called him back oer to the desk. I called him by his name. He told me his little girl didnt deprivation to chance upon him anymore. He told me hed been up for terzetto serial days, fit on some sorting of drug that must(prenominal) assimilate been motley with something else. He seemed on the solelyton as surprise roughly this as I was. peradventure I should occur a book, he said, and for a second, I public opinion everything was exit to be OK, but he grew importunate again. I gotta go somewhere. I confine to repose cut back or something. \n

No comments:

Post a Comment